Wednesday, May 26, 1993

Slumber party

It's Wednesday night, late. I have been setting up my Sound Blaster sound card on my computer. In fact, at this very moment I'm typing my journal entry while being serenaded by a chorus of classical music played by the computer. Linda has been out doing some shopping. I've been home alone with the children tonight. The kids have been playing downstairs where I am working. They play together very well for the most part--disagreements are resolved quickly--and laughter is plentiful. Alyssa is asleep in one arm, and I am typing with my free hand.

Alyssa Robyn Stucki just had her one-year birthday near the first of this month (May 6). She's growing up so quickly now--crawling and climbing everywhere and walking with just a little support. It seemed only yesterday we were cradling her in our arms to bring her home from the hospital. I wonder how much longer I'll be able to hold her in my arms like this, before she's pulled away from me for good. School, friends, distractions of all kinds, and just growing up--it's already taking her from me. Moments like this--alone one-on-one together--are already few and far between, and they won't be so easy to come by in years to come. They're too infrequent now.

And here it is, time for bed already. I must take her upstairs and tuck her in the crib. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get a chance to hold her like this again, one-on-one, before she's all grown up. I hope so.

Goodnight Alyssa. How I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Dad - Where is this writing from? Did you type it in your blog from a journal entry you had written?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was when I was typing in my journal on an 8088 computer with a monochrome monitor. Can you even remember those? I was in the basement of our house in North Orem.

    It was a long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I posted this on my blog to place it somewhere safe.

    I expect each of you will be feeling these same emotions shortly, if not already. These are special times. And for you, they are just getting started.

    ReplyDelete