Sunday, June 17, 2012

What it means to be a father

For my entire life, every Fathers Day I would reflect on what it means to have a faithful father. Fathers Day was an opportunity to express appreciation to my dad. Of course, we all did this, which is right and good and true. I am grateful for Grandpa (dad). Hailed as one of the greatest voices of contemporary literature, Maya Angelou said "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Those words remind me of Grandpa. I always felt like his favorite. We all did.

I have written before about Grandpa's virtues. And I will write many times again, I am sure, about the uncharacteristic qualities of my father. He was patient, kind, long suffering, and fun. Even as I write these words, memories flood my mind about great times we had together and his splendid example. In many ways, he is my measuring stick for how I am doing on my own paternal journey.

But this year, after more than two dozen years as a father, I want to focus on what is means to be a dad. I am so grateful to be your father. I have the highest admiration for each one of you. No doubt, each of you is my superior. You bring me such joy. The prophets support this perspective of your being a chosen generation. I am truly among nobility. Psalms tells us that children are an heritage of the Lord and the fruit of the womb (our) reward.
4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children... Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them...
I guess you could say our quiver is full in that regard, but so are our hearts and admiration and respect and love for you. You children mean more to me than words can adequately express. I don't really understand how eternal families are organized in heaven, but I think how grateful I am that you let me be part of your family and were willing to allow me be your father, so that I could associate with each of you and learn from your good examples.

None of us is perfect. Gratefully, that is not required of us. We are covered through the Savior's Atonement. But we are encouraged to be "submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."
Mosiah 3:19

Thank you for your patience, love, and support and for letting me be your dad.

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment