Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Make this your fight song

A pad of post-it notes costs somewhere around a buck, or perhaps the price of a single note is say a penny.

Roughly.

But consider the value sharing your sentiments can afford. Bear with me while I reminisce a bit with the following true story from a few years ago:

​My fiftieth birthday started just like every day does. I turned off the alarm and followed my morning rituals. Once I made it to the bathroom, I drew the shower, shaved, and dressed. After brushing my teeth, I tried to smooth the cowlick standing up on the top of my head. “At least I have hair to smooth,” I thought smugly. Then I grabbed the handle to open the door to my bedroom, and everything changed.

Unbeknownst to me while I was showering, someone was preparing a scene to behold. I will never forget this.



Fifty balloons with tassels floated in my room; each one bearing a note of encouragement and love from a family member. I have all those sentiments tucked away safely and still re-read them on occasion today.

I am so thankful for my sweet family. I am really lucky to have them in my life. I urge you to share your love with your own families. It takes just a minute and costs practically nothing. But everyone wants to know his family is happy and secure. And sharing your love and support with them can make all the difference in your life and theirs.

When we acknowledge one another, we help ourselves.  Honor your family and perpetuate respect for those who gave us life, for that is what eternity is all about.

We all care for our families and gratefully our good memories can last forever.

I love that I can reminisce and celebrate good family experiences. We have had some really great times. Thanks for all the kind notes, calls, cards, and thoughtful gifts expressing your sentiments.

So I ask you, can a simple note change one's life? I didn’t think so before, but I do now.

It is only in the celestial kingdom that we can live in families forever. There we can be united together and feel peace and joy in the presence of our Heavenly Father and the Savior, Jesus Christ. The prophet Joseph Smith described that wonderful experience this way:

“When the Savior shall appear we shall see him as he is. We shall see that he is a man like ourselves.

“And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory.”

Because of all of you, for me it’s already started.

I love you, dad




No comments:

Post a Comment