Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Plan

​I was recently exposed to a philosophy that I love. The more I hear it, the more I like it and want to make it part of my life. I think you will, too. I came across this by happenstance one day while browsing Facebook. A good friend shared a link to another post which goes something like this:

I deeply believe that feeling connected and loved by your tribe is one of the greatest healing forces for good in this life. So grateful for my big crazy tribe and the passionate way our family loves and rallies. Feeling blessed 

Too often we are competing with our brothers and sisters to outdo, outperform, or covet another’s performance.

Way back in 1972, our tribe posed for a beautiful family photo. A lot has happened since those days. I can look back at that time and think I really had no idea what life was holding for me or my tribe. But we were together, united, and strong. 

That is the only picture I still remember in which I was taller than my little brother … or I should really say younger. I only have one younger brother, so there should be no question who I am talking about. Life takes us contrasting ways, and we face obstacles and challenges starkly different from one another. But we are still brothers and the unity and accord that held us together as a young struggling family can still bond us together in our later years.  Too often unfortunately we let pride and jealousy influence our actions, philosophy, and attitudes. Instead of harmony, we may allow emotions to pull us apart and compare, judge, and criticize one another. That’s one of the things I love about my father. In the midst of comparisons, criticisms, and cupidity, he pursues acceptance, support, and harmony with everyone. He follows the example of the Savior.

Some years ago one of our nationally known radio commentators was asked the question, “What message could be broadcast to the world that would be considered of greater importance than any other message?” And he said, after giving the matter careful thought and deliberation, “To be able to say that a man who had lived here upon this earth had returned again with a message from God would be the greatest message that could be broadcast to the world.”

And that being true, we have the greatest message, not only that prophets like Moroni,  John the Baptist, and Peter, James, and John have visited this earth, but God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ.

Thanks Jeffrey. Time and again, we have been edified by your words of faith sharing that very message. The melody of your inspiration will play on for years to come. We still have so much in common.

We come from very good stock. Our father and mother together combined their talents and goodness to create a family and home, which is the envy of many—not unlike the kingdom prepared for us, I imagine. I try every day to live up to the great example they set for us. I know you do, too. Our children are the source of our happiness now and for many years to come. In fact, they will rise to a level of accomplishment that you and I will likely never attain. But that’s OK. Being a father gives us a different perspective than we once held. Our joy comes from helping make our families happy. Which for me is very interesting since that is exactly where Dad and Mom derive their happiness and how God increases his.

Family is obviously very important to us both. Thanks for sharing the family pictures of yesteryear, the great times and the great memories. I am fortunate to be your brother now…I always have.

And because of the Savior Jesus Christ, we will all be our finest and a together forever as a family.  Even the tough times will have value in our lives.

Lucky to have you as part of our family and really grateful for you.

I love you brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment