Sunday, November 12, 2017

Surrounded by greatness

I was reading in my journal today about an incredible man, Floyd Johnson. You probably haven't even heard of him. Neither had I, until he became our bishop at Wymount Terrace when your mother and I were students at BYU.

It was interesting being in that ward. Many of its members were athletes at the Y during that time. They wanted to be in Floyd's ward. Now I know why. It turns out he was BYU's equipment coach for many years. He continues to be one of my heroes, because when I was with him, I felt like I was his favorite.

And now I know that he made everyone feel that way. Great men always do.

So this week I want to share with you a remarkable essay.

What would you look at if you had just three days of sight? Helen Keller, blind and deaf from infancy, gives her answer.

As you read it, notice the bounty that you have been given because of who you are and recognize the wealth of blessings at your fingertips.

Like the heroes that surround and edify us, this gift is made possible because of a loving Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ.

It would be tragic to overlook the abundance of good examples all around us for failure to simply look to see those who have been ordained to bless us. These people are just waiting to be discovered, valued, and appreciated--like their stories--that reflect the Light of Christ and the answer to your hopes and dreams.

And joy you don't now even realize is possible will become your life.

It is his promise to you and me. I am already seeing this covenant fulfilled.

Everyone of us on his team is assured this outcome...every one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment