Sunday, December 23, 2018

Spring cleaning

Fam,
I know. With summer ending and fall in full swing, the title of this email sounds like it is several months late, but we all know things often take longer than expected. A year ago we were telling Gma to throw away those boxes of paraphernalia bumping around in her garage for several years now. I would smile to myself when I saw the old things she was keeping…then I helped your mom with a little spring cleaning of our own.
We were straightening up the bedrooms and preparing a craft room upstairs. I carried mattresses, made beds, situated stacking units, and emptied the hallway. We got a lot done. All was going well when your mom reminded me that she had some things I needed to bring up from the basement—destined for DI. “No problem,” I called to her. We were really making headway. I went downstairs to get the junk and carry it upstairs.
When I entered the room where she was working, I found my stereo and speaker system had been placed in the middle of the room.
packed boxes



“We can’t get rid of this,” I said half serious. I had tried in vain to get you children to use this system, and I was seriously thinking I could still convince my youngest. I mean it has an Acoustic Controlled Amplifier AX401 with direct coupled power stages. Admittedly, the Stereo Cassette Deck is not really practical, but even that has a high density head and dual motor transport mechanism. Same thing goes for the Automatic Stereo Turntable system. But let’s not forget that it also includes a Quartz Lock Digital Synthesizer with 30 station preset and FM Stereo/AM-FM radio tuner. Plus, the 5-disc cd player with 4 times oversampling digital filter is really impressive. Your mom just rolled her eyes.
Desperate for someone to understand, I said “At least Emily could use the cd player.” Calmly mom responded “She doesn’t even own cds anymore.” Sheepishly, I carried the components upstairs. The stereo cabinet was a little awkward and heavy, so I asked my Emily to help me lift it into the back of the car. I appreciated being able to share my feelings with someone who could really understand. "When I was young, I would have loved this system," I said. Further, I explained that in my day this was the optimal music equipment. And it seems somebody should still want it. I thought of my brothers and sisters and their children. Looking for sympathy, I continued. “Do you think any of your cousins would like this?” I asked her as we situated this classic piece in the back of mom's car. That's when Emily looked straight at me and somewhat startled pulled out her earbuds and asked “What did you say dad?”
At that moment I thought of my sweet mother-in-law and the boxes in her garage. I realized she was probably keeping those things so she could give them to us and her grandchildren someday. And it’s not that easy for any of us to give up things, even when they are out-of-date and absolutely impractical.
And I wondered how many other little habits or debaucheries we hold on to when we really ought to rid ourselves of these vices and cleanse the inner vessel for good. It can creep up on us. It happens to us all. We are less patient, understanding, and loving than we should be. Our favorite habits and comfortable shortcomings are hard to abandon. Yet we can all be more committed, obedient, kind, and thoughtful. We should rid ourselves of our favorite behaviors that are less than admirable and replace them with upstanding characteristics that mimic our Example.
It makes perfect sense to all of us when we are talking about technology. It should also ring a bell when we are talking about habits.
Mormon men
To read more of Walter’s articles, click the picture.
I love the parable of the Prodigal Son. Sometimes, what is really important and relevant in our lives is pushed to the side in preference to less admirable behaviors, responsibilities, or selfish desires. This parable has application in all our lives today, just as much as when it was originally spoken more than 2000 years ago. I can relate. 
Another favorite scripture story I really enjoy occurs when the crowds surrounding the Savior make him somewhat inaccessible.  Friends of a man stricken with palsy break open the roof into the chamber where Jesus is teaching. Then, my favorite part of the video occurs. After lowering the man from the roof, the men drop the ropes, in effect showing their faith in the Lord's ability to heal this man, which the Lord does. Jesus frees him by first forgiving him and then saying "Arise. Take up the bed, and go thy way into thine house." This small man does something giant with the Lord's help. He stands up on his own, lifts his bed, and carries it away.
Palsy is paralysis, which is accompanied by involuntary tremors. I think I know something about that.   
Many years ago, I too was dropped--this time on the pavement--into a situation from which I could not free myself. But through good doctors, mindful friends, and a beloved family then and today, the Lord raised me up and has given me hope, happiness, and freedom well beyond my own ability. I know of his power because I have experienced it.
Though his words were spoken to men long ago, his message still resonates for all of us.

Regardless of our circumstance, the solution is the same. I know something about that as well.   
Access to the Lord and his gospel can free us from the vices of our day and provide power, help, and forgiveness.
That's all part of the plan.

I love you, dad




2 comments: