Monday, October 10, 2011

Privilege


I have been fortunate to rub shoulders with some really fine people. Certainly among these are grandparents, friends and acquaintances from Salt Lake, Castle Valley and Moab, people I have been privileged to work with side-by-side in the business world, mission field, and at school. I am especially grateful for family members. A sweet wife, beautiful daughters, and a fine son--all of whom I respect and admire for their amazing talents, friendships, and good qualities. But at this time, I am particularly mindful of my father. It is Grandpa's birthday today. He would be 83-years-old today. So this week, I am going to tell you a little bit more about my dad.

First, of course, he is known by many names: Grandpa, Father, uncle, President Stucki, and many other titles. But today I am going to refer to him affectionately as my dad. That was the most common term I used as a boy when referring to my father. Other boys would use terms like my old man or other speech that made the speaker sound cool, using the vernacular of my day. But I could never do that. I had too much love and respect for my father than to refer to him in such base, ungrateful, or disrespectful terms--it was something I could never do.

I have told some of you about the occasions in Salt Lake when Grandpa was serving as scout master. I had the chance to go with him on various camp outs, including East Fork of the Bear, the Grand Canyon, and other memorable outings. But what I may not have told you is that Grandpa always was on the look out for the lonely, the forgotten, or someone who just needed a boost. He had a special way of lifting others spirits and bringing joy to the downhearted. That was Grandpa's calling card--he always found the lonely, friendless, or otherwise needy, recognized them, and made sure they felt included. We have all felt lonely at one time or another, and many just like us have been comforted by my dad.

He was always happy, friendly, and available, even during difficult times. My friends and other acquaintances would ask me "Does your father always smile?" To which I would respond "Yeah. Pretty much always." I asked him once how he was always able to smile. He said "I just think of all my blessings, and I can't help but smile in appreciation."

We all felt we were Grandpa's favorite son, daughter, or grandchild. He had the ability to make each of us feel as though we were his favorite. That's because we are his favorite. He made sure each one of us understood we were dearly loved, and we knew it.

Everyday with dad was a privilege. I share the following anecdote from my journal from February 16, 1998:

"We had a fun outing this week I shall always remember with fondness. Dad & Mom came up to go with us out to dinner and then to the play Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat starring Donny Osmond at Kingsbury Hall at the University of Utah. We went to dinner together at Market Street Grill, then we drove to University of Utah. Mom and Dad pointed out sites such as the sorority and fraternity houses, things that had changed and things that were the same, and they shared experiences with us of how and when they first met. I remembered the stories vaguely, but it was good to hear them again. Dad told how he had first seen Mom, or rather a picture of Mom, while he was serving on his mission. His missionary companion had her picture. He later met her briefly at a skating party, but they were both with other dates on that particular evening. So it wasn’t until after this that Dad actually dated Mom. On his first date with Mom, she had invited him to her home for Thanksgiving dinner. That was the time the turkey hadn’t been fully cooked. Mom remembers it with abhorrence. Dad just smiles."

Dad also told me about an experience going to market to shop the clothing vendors for LaRies with his mother. Grandma always reserved her hotel accommodations several weeks prior to her trip, and although she usually went alone, this time she took my dad with her. Like usual, she received the confirmation from the Biltmore Hotel, where she regularly stayed, well before they left on the trip. When the time for the trip came, they flew to California and went to get their room at the hotel. The woman at the desk could not find their confirmation for a room. She called upon a supervisor to help find the reservation, but they simply had no record of the booking. Grandma showed them the confirmation the hotel had sent her verifying she had reserved a room, but tonight the rooms were full and regrettably the hotel could not accommodate them. This was upsetting particularly in light of Grandma’s thorough preparation. Trying to be helpful, the woman at the counter said that she had a friend in the lodging business, and she gave Dad and Grandma the address. So they followed this suggestion and rented a room from this other person and soon went to sleep for the night. In the middle of the night, they were awakened by lots of fire engines. They came across a bridge over a river and headed down the same street as they were on. They marveled at how many fire engines came one after the other and wondered where the fire was. In the morning when Grandma and my dad awoke, they saw on TV and heard news reports that the Biltmore hotel where they were supposed to have stayed had burned down that previous night. Many people had been killed or injured, and it was a dreadful scene, but one that had not involved Grandma and Dad because the Lord had caused their confirmation to be misplaced for the room in the hotel which tragically burned.

The Lord had great plans for Dad and Granny and our family. He protected him from harm and gratefully intervened when necessary to prolong his days. You, my loved ones, are one of the reasons that the Lord protected my dad and extended his life.

One of my most genuine memories of dad is how he loved and revered the Savior, Jesus Christ. He recognized and taught the importance of including the Savior in all testimonies, lessons, and prayers of thanksgiving even before the general Church leadership began to emphasize this. When the words "Another Testament of Christ" were added to the name of the Book of Mormon (1982), it was an answer to his prayers. He expounded on this principle in a letter written nearly ten years before he passed away. You have all heard his testimony:

"As sweet to me and powerful in my life as these things have been (he was referring to the numerous blessings received in his life), nothing brought more peace, and hope, and joy than has come from discovering the marvelous qualities of the Savior and all the gracious, loving and merciful things He has done for me and my loved ones. I cannot in any way repay Him, or properly thank Him. But this I can do, and seek with all my heart to do, and that is stand as a witness of the goodness of the Father in giving us such a leader and friend as the Savior” and "I think about the great sacrifices my parents and fore bearers made for me, and the great example they set of complete faithfulness to the Savior and His teachings in their lives. Now it's my turn. I would surely feel amiss to pass on to my posterity something less. (I will) stand as a witness that Christ is divine, has risen from the dead, and out of his love for us has overcome every barrier to our return to Heavenly Father, and enjoyment of the unspeakable joys of eternal life. I know that His teachings are the only way to happiness and peace in this life, for individuals and nations, and to joy in the life to come. All I do and say is in the hope that I might help His cause and help others come to Him for the right guidance in life, and the strength to do what's right. I know that through Christ sins can be overcome and forgiven, and lives changed, and hope restored."

That's what I remember about my father the most...that he loved and honored the Savior in word and deed and was anxiously engaged in His cause. And to be able to be part of that experience, for me, was a privilege.

How grateful I am for our Lord and Savior! Because of Him, we will see Grandpa again. The Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ will reunite us once again if we but follow Him. He has paid the price for our salvation and beckons us that we will follow Him, so that he can bless us and we, together, can receive a fullness of joy.

Grandpa knew that, and I know it, too.

I love you, dad

No comments:

Post a Comment