Sunday, February 12, 2012

Destiny

Fam,
It's almost Valentines Day. Though I'm not totally moved by fairy tales and chick flicks can get passé (we have enough of them in our video library), a good love story that edifies, inspires, encourages, and motivates can really be enticing. And referring to an actual, real-life incident makes it even better. That's where I want to go today.

Do you remember the story of Rachel? She is first mentioned in the Bible in Genesis 29 when Jacob happens upon her as she is watering her lamb. He had traveled a great distance and is overcome by her beauty.

During Jacob's stay, he fell in love with Rachel and agreed to work seven years for Laban in return for her hand in marriage. And the scriptures state that "Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had (for) her." How romantic is that? Well the story gets even better.

On the night of the wedding, the bride was veiled and Jacob did not notice that Leah, Rachel's older sister, had been substituted for Rachel. Later Jacob confronted Laban, who excused his own deception by insisting that the older sister should marry first. He assured Jacob that he could take Rachel as wife, as well, if he worked another seven years as payment for her. I'm sure Jacob continued to tell Rachel that those fourteen years were in retrospect but a moment.

Well, I can imagine in my mind's eye another conversation that may have taken place in the pre-existence... Dad, I want to be your daughter. I want to be part of this family, but I am going to have some real problems in my life. I will struggle with things other girls don't have to deal with. My challenges will be enourmous when compared with others. And I won't always respond with patience, kindness, or love, but that's when I need you most. Do you still want me?

With a resounding YES, I respond:

Yes, dear, with all our heart, we want you just as you are. We love who you are and know in due time what you can become. We will help and encourage you as you face hardship, overcome obstacles, and achieve your potential. We have high expectations for you because we know something of your character. You are already tremendous and your worth is more than that of rubies. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be part of your life. Thank you for gracing our home with your presence. We all have hardships that we must face. It's a privilege to be able to be part of helping you overcome challenges and realize your destiny. You, my dear, are a daughter of God.

Whatever struggles you face, you needn't tackle them alone. We are here for you!
And so is your Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Revelations 3: 20

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

I love you, dad

No comments:

Post a Comment