Saturday, May 18, 2013

Harmony

I love good art.

Looking at a beautiful oil painting or sculpture is inspiring and uplifting. Reading a well-written piece of literature can change your life.

Short, concise writing is much more difficult to compose than wordy, lengthy prose. And putting words to music captures emotions we have always been trying to depict with words.

According to Victor Hugo "Music expresses that which cannot be said, but on which it is impossible to be silent." When words fail, music speaks. Steven's music for him is a source of expression, and with music comes elation and euphoria.

I believe I have figured out why Steven is so good at what he does. He is an expert at creating harmony.

Just as he says in his advertising application, "if you press people wrongly they tune you out."

That's why he is so good at what he does; people love the feeling they get when they are with him, and they keep coming back for more.

His writing is spectacular. There is a line I love that he wrote. It's all about connecting with people:
"What every agency wants, what every team, company, and organization needs is someone whose ability to connect with others comes naturally. Whose capacity to reach those around them and recognize their desires breaks through the white noise of society and motivates those who hear the message to embrace it, creating harmony. That's sound advice."

If I am honest about it, I wish I was the one that had written that. I admire his talent. I envy his ability to connect, but I am ok with the fact that he is the artist. I still get to enjoy his work and feel admiration, happiness, and gratitude for him. I find myself wishing his songs would just continue, kind of like a great movie that you wish would just keep going. Whenever they end, it's too soon.

Someone said "The problem with life is that there is no background music." I love that concept, but I think I would change that notion to read "The opportunity in life is to make background music."

Steven - you are the best!

Someday we will look back on the hardships that we face and life's seemingly endless difficulties, and we will see an intricate web of plans to build us, strengthen us, and help us become who we are really meant to be.

Life is a journey, and we can't criticize our imperfections or shortcomings, because we are a work in progress. It's on the back of our shortcomings that we build the phenomenal orchestration of music and harmony that makes us who we are—and because of that we can have joy.

Our flaws are given to us so that we can benefit from the process of overcoming our weaknesses and revel in appreciation and glory that comes only through the Son—, which is the great plan of happiness!

We are not the composer of our destiny, He is.

That is life's lesson.



2 comments:

  1. Read this interesting article about art by Gregg Stucki in the Moab Sun News... http://www.moabsunnews.com/opinion/article_3690df04-bc1e-11e2-b88f-001a4bcf6878.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we develop greater harmony in our homes?
    http://mormon.org/stories/harmony-in-our-homes

    ReplyDelete