Sunday, February 23, 2014

Raising my Ebenezer

There is a song I just love. It's a prayer, really. 

The melody has always captured my interest. But recently, I learned more about the lyrics and their message. Now this anthem has become even more beautiful to me. I would like to analyze each of the verses with you and hear your thoughts. As I look at the parts, I am overcome with the fact that someone composed such beautiful words and a melody that depict such cherished experiences in our lives to which we can all relate. They are immaculate.

"Here I raise my Ebenezer" is a curious phrase that appears in the second verse. A friend at work shared his thoughts regarding this concept, and it opened my eyes...

In ancient times, prophets raised monuments to remember special events and witness of the Lord's help in their day. The scriptures illustrate many examples of this, including such things as the mount of transfigurationholy writ, and temples as witnesses of our faith. What are our Ebenezers in our day? Perhaps our testimonies, our lives and personal histories.

This blog is a witness of His sustenance and goodness in my life, even in the midst of hardship.

Here I raise my Ebenezer. Hither by Thy help I come...



Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=2130

No comments:

Post a Comment