Friday, May 9, 2014

Heartbeat symphony

Often when having too much fun, we think there must be something better we should be doing. Sound familiar? 

But this time around, I am working on exactly what I think is top priority in my life right now. Yet composing personal histories shouldn't be this much fun. You be the judge.

When I was a boy in Castle Valley, I remember tilling the ground, planting the fields of vegetation in the deep, red soil, then weeding long rows of Silver Queen corn. I'm sure I never thought at the time that I would long for those years gone by. But today, I relish working with the soil, planting seeds and sucklings, and nourishing the sprouts to reach their full potential. Perhaps this is one more way we replenish the earth and show appreciation for the abundance we have been given. Certainly we live through challenging periodsdifficult as they may be at the time—so we can later recall the sweet melodies of life and relive the memories that are ingrained in our hearts. These chords are for our benefit, and we want them rooted in our own children to perpetuate the symphony of our lives. 

By capturing these stories in our personal histories, we not only save them for our posterity, but we revive them in our own minds and hearts. If we fail to remember these experiences and forget to enjoy the sweet memories of our lives, then perhaps that is the greatest loss of all.

Relishing former times with hindsight gives perspective during the challenges we face today.

Yes, reliving today's and tomorrow's memories could very well be the most fun we ever have.

Therein lies the treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment