Sunday, May 18, 2014

Words

I was reviewing my journal this week, and I came upon a fond memory:

We had a fun outing this week I shall always remember with fondness. Dad & Mom came up to go with us out to dinner and then to Kingsbury Hall at the University of Utah to see the play Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat starring Donny Osmond. We went to dinner together at Market Street Grill, and then we drove to the U. Mom and Dad pointed out sites such as the sorority and fraternity houses, things that had changed and things that were the same, and they shared experiences with us of how and when they first met. I remembered the stories vaguely but it was good to hear them again. Dad told how he had first seen Mom, or rather a picture of Mom, while he was serving his mission. His missionary companion had her picture. He later met her briefly at a skating party, but they were both with other dates on that particular evening. So it wasn’t until after this that Dad actually dated Mom. On his first date with Mom, she had invited him to her home for Thanksgiving dinner. That was the time the turkey hadn't been fully cooked. Mom remembers it with abhorrence. Dad just smiled. That's always been one of my favorite stories.

We soon found our seats and enjoyed the performance featuring Donny Osmond, which made it particularly special for Linda, since she has always been a raving fan. 

A wonderful evening indeed.

This is one memory I can enjoy time and again because I wrote the experience down in my journal and am able to remember it in detail and relive it each time I read it. Knowing how much my parents enjoyed that evening made it exquisite for me.

I know these are just words on a page, but they bring to life memories so warm and close to my heart that I get to relive them vicariously.

Thanks for letting me reminisce. Firsts

No comments:

Post a Comment