Sunday, June 22, 2014

My Living Journal

All my life I have been taught to read and ponder the scriptures, so I could apply their insights and guidance to bless my life. Honestly, as a young man, I didn't really understand the concept of pondering scriptures. I would read a few verses and then wait to see what insights filled my mind and heart. The intent was good; the results rewarding. But I still didn't really see the benefit…at least not immediately. And then I got older, and somehow during that process I realized that pondering is a lifelong activity. Pondering the scriptures and life and the tender mercies of God doesn't happen all at once. It is a process. And the answers don’t necessarily come immediately. The application to life does not happen all-at-once. But bit-by-bit life lessons are taught line-upon-line and precept-upon-precept until the concepts become clear and the experiences take on greater and greater meaning throughout one’s life. It’s amazing how forgettable stories and seemingly mundane experiences take on renewed meaning and value later in life when we take time to reminisce and draw conclusions that were meant for our benefit. My journal contains hundreds of examples of this marvelous manifestation of God’s love and patience. He takes all the time necessary to build and fashion us if we will but let the Master Potter influence, shape, and frame our lives.

So often in life we are concerned with the present, and often we need to be. Selecting a major, finding the money to pay regular mortgage or rent payments, pursuing our education and career amid unexpected disturbances, preparing and planning for vacations, family and home life, and a million more legitimate concerns that every family on earth has. And I realize these matters are not small. For some, they are wondering where their next meal will come from, or how they will get through next month’s slough of bills. Anxieties, fears, and numerous trepidations influence every life on earth at some time or another. They have occurred in my life—they've occurred in yours.

But in the midst of these frustrations, consider for a moment that they are simply diversions from what is really important. And the Master Teacher’s lesson will not be rendered vain. All His works will be fulfilled—all of them.

I could not have fashioned the beautiful family I have on my own. The sustenance, wonder, and beauty of my life would have crumbled many times if I alone was in charge of the outcome. But I am not alone, and neither are you. This life is but a short time wherein we receive many opportunities for both joy and pain. Here, we are prepared for a sure outcome of eternal joy if we but do our best to follow the Master.

This I know.

 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Matthew 5:18

 Remember, remember that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men. Doctrine and Covenants 3:3

 28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

"A daughter is one of the most beautiful gifts this world has to give."
- Laurel Atherton


No comments:

Post a Comment