Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Miracle in You

I have learned a few lessons in my life, and I want to share a nugget with you so you can profit now and won't have to wait until you're my age before benefiting. These are my conclusions. There are no exceptions to the rule. I have learned this principle to be true and worthwhile. So let me introduce it with a true story:

When I went to my dad as a young man for advice as I was about to buy my first car, he reminded me about my most important objectives and warned me that I needed to honestly assess my financial ability to achieve my goals if I put money into a car.

I was 16-years-old at the time and knew a lot more than I do now--at least I thought I did--so I responded that I had considered this concern and figured I could benefit from the extra cash when I sell the car. Dad raised his his hand to his chin and rubbed it as he thought. "Well you could wreck your car, and then you wouldn't have anything left." I had the perfect comeback. "But I will have insurance!" I clamored, probably a little more desperate than confident. "Well. You may not..." I didn't even let him finish the sentence. "Of course, I will have insurance. It's the law, and I would never drive without it." I was incredulous but respectful. Of course, my dad consented. I knew he would. A couple years later, I was having some serious engine trouble, and while my car was in the shop I pulled the expensive insurance off the vehicle until it was repaired. Needless to say, I started driving before I put the insurance back on my car and had an accident in the mean time. Everything dad said could happen did. The point is we can benefit from the wisdom of our elders. That's the whole premise behind AskGramps. Following good advice has an immediate impact for the better.

So now for the nugget...we are encouraged to read the Book of Mormon daily. The benefit is in the reading, not just finishing. Another example, getting my home teaching done is great, but doing it is even better. That's where I witness the change and experience the impact of the gospel in other people's lives. Similarly, the blessings of family history come in completing it, not just having it all done. The connection I have formed with ancestors and their stories of hardship, determination, and unwavering resolve are inspiring. Obedience is the first law of heaven, because it's fundamental to all others.

This means that you are the reason all this exists in the first place. You are the miracle at work here, and their purpose is to help you get better every day.

That's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment