Friday, April 18, 2014

A lifetime of blessings

Do you want to feel valued, fulfilled, and important? Sure you do.

We all want these secure and welcomed emotions. Yet how is this sentiment realized? Interestingly, it's not achieved by focusing on oneself.

Realizing our hopes and dreams and happiness are found in serving others, lifting them, and expressing gratitude for our blessings. So today, put this claim to the test. You can know for yourself that this is true by following the simple steps below:
1. Become genuinely interested in other people
2. Smile
3. Remember people's names
4. Be a good listener
5. Talk in terms of other people's interests
6. Sincerely make other people feel important
7. Be grateful and express appreciation 
The answers to our prayers may come long after the plea is made.
Benefits of studying scriptures daily are realized long after the passages are read.

Perhaps the greatest lessons are learned while reflecting over life's experiences. We are all familiar with President Henry B. Eyring's comments regarding capturing these experiences. He said the following:

I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.



Elder Bednar expands on this principle by stressing the principle of tender mercies:

But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance
1 Ne 1:20

Recognition and gratitude are the essential elements in experiencing joy. That is the secret to true happiness.

This Easter...and always.

More reading:
O Remember, Remember / The Tender Mercies of God / Easter Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment