Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fear Not

I am intrigued with opposites: 
  • hot/cold
  • dark/light
  • black/white
Those are pretty easy terms and obvious complements for the most part. But what is the opposite of fear? If you look that term up in Websters dictionary or thesaurus.com, you may find the counterparts bravery, courage, heroism and other like terms.

But I propose another antonym to fear might be faith. Gratefully, we are not alone. 2 Ne 28:31 

"I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments." 1

"My life is but a weaving between my God and me.
I do not choose the colors; He worketh steadily.
Ofttimes He weaveth sorrow, and I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper and I the underside.

Not till the loom is silent, and shuttles cease to fly,
Will God unroll the canvas and explain the reason why
The dark threads are as needful in the skillful Weaver's hand
As the threads of gold and silver in the pattern He has planned." 2

I will order all things for your good as fast as you are able to receive them. D&C 111:11


Be still and know that I am God... Psalms 46:10




 - "Come Unto Me," in a speech by Jeffrey Holland, 1997. 
 - "The Weaver" in Book of Poetry, ed. Al Bryant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment