Sunday, January 20, 2013

Half baked

I am fortunate to be surrounded by talented and loving family members. We have great cooks in our family. Gratefully, I benefit from this everyday. But it would be ludicrous for me to make my evaluation prior to the completion of the recipe..."Well, honey this cake needs some work," followed by "What are you talking about? I just combined the flour and eggs. It's not done yet!" That's ridiculous, I know. Nobody would do that...right?

At some point, we have all been guilty of making judgements hastily. "She isn't nice enough," or "He could be more patient." Nobody's perfect. We are all in the process of turning out to be better people. Who we become and what we will eventually attain is beyond our wildest dreams. But the point is that we are in the process of reaching our potential--we're not there yet.

So give yourself a break. We can't judge ourselves or one another too harshly anymore than we can critique a book that is only half written or a piece of art that has just been started or as mentioned above, a recipe that is only half baked.

Gratefully, we are all still in progress...so chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment