Sunday, January 13, 2013

Greatest Lesson

Of course, Grandpa taught us all many things in word and in deed. I want to tell you about one particular strategy he shared with me. Yes. This, in my opinion, could be the greatest lesson he ever taught:

When I was just a little boy, I idolized my father. He was the best. We went on vacations together, enjoyed swimming, camped out, visited the ice cream parlor, and did many things together that little boys loved. He made me feel like I was his most important child. I think he did that for all of us. Yet during a particular conversation, I remember him saying that he loved the Savior Jesus Christ more than anything else, and I couldn't understand. "You mean you love him more than me...more than mom?" I knew I shouldn't try to put myself before the Savior, but somehow it just didn't feel right being second.

Then I became a father, and perhaps for the first time I began to realize that he is responsible for everything really important to me. Because of the Savior's grace and love, I am sealed to your mother for eternity and bound to each one of you forevermore. Because of our Lord we can be together forever as a family and enjoy one another's company eternally. And because of the Savior Jesus Christ, we will be reunited with our loved ones that have been lost or taken from us, and this blessing will continue on into the eternities.

Because of Jesus Christ everything that is most important to me will be mine perpetually. How can I not love and appreciate him above all else? Everything that is good and wholesome and worthwhile and important comes to me because of him, including my family. 

And he taught us to come to him when laden with burdens, so he can give us rest and peace and solace amid trial Matthew 11:28,29,30

Grandpa taught me that loving the Savior above all else gives us power to overcome challenges... if we can't make the right decision for the right reason, we can do it for Christ.

If we love and follow Jesus Christ, we can do all things through him.

That, my little brood, may be the greatest lesson of all time.  Mosiah 2:41

No comments:

Post a Comment