Saturday, July 6, 2013

Simple question

I have wondered if I could select the single most important lesson I learned from Grandpa. That's a difficult answer to a simple question. And while the response may change depending on my particular point in life, I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens.

Patience, forgiveness, dedication, hard work, humility, importance of family, appreciation...I could go on and on.

But one principle Grandpa taught me in both word and deed was the value of provident living. At the time, I probably didn't recognize or welcome it like I should, but I see and appreciate the wisdom in that lesson now. I can't tell you how many times I wished as young man that I had a nicer home or car or clothes. Don't misunderstand me. We had it great, but it would be inaccurate for me to say that I didn't envy some others who always had a new car or truck and the latest clothes, plenty of spending money, and whatever else they seemed to want.
  • Grandpa worked as vice president of a multi-million dollar business in Salt Lake City. We had five or six stores scattered across the Wasatch Front and a central distribution center that provided a location to keep the inventory and supply the individual stores. Yet I never once heard him complain about becoming a bus driver once we moved to Castle Valley. On the contrary, he often responded that there couldn't be a more beautiful place on earth or better, more delicious food than the menu Mom regularly prepared for us.
  • Using up short little pencils, writing notes on scraps of paper destined for the trash bin, calculating pennies saved on items at the grocery store (this was before calculators and long before per ounce pricing signage), these are all fond memories and classic examples of my dad.
  • Eating all the leftovers before they turned too bad for consumption, which to this day remains debatable. Grandpa often ate things the rest of us would have tossed. He often did that and enjoyed it.
  • Grandpa wore and rewore hand-me-downs until there was nothing left. Again, don't misunderstand me. Grandpa dressed well and looked great. His style was impeccable when needed. But during an irrigation session or when milking the cow or completing some other trivial task on the farm, he was never too proud to sport old Sunday shoes that still had a little wear left or slacks that were too short. I loved that about him. Grandpa was not defined by his wardrobe. I admired his confidence. I wasn't that brave.
  • Again, I could go on and on. Grandpa's life was full of lessons about thrift, gratitude, priorities, and gleaning the most important things from life and its fulness.
The value of provident living should not be lost in a story of former times when pickens were slim. It applies just as much today, perhaps now more than ever.

I read a fantastic article recently, which referred to Elder Hales general conference address. Listen to Elder Hale's comments here.

Provident living touches absolutely everything that we do. That's one reason it is so critical to our happiness.

So it's a difficult question to answer, that is picking just one lesson learned from Grandpa above all others.

But living happily within our means is certainly a serious contender.



No comments:

Post a Comment