Tuesday, July 2, 2013

You Can

Have you ever wanted to be one of those people that could donate millions to charity? I expect you have. Me too. And someday, we may be able to do just that I expect. But in the meantime, there is a lot we have to offer nonetheless.

I think about the story of the widow's mite. The rationale is pretty simple. Though our contributions are not as immense or influential as another's, they are significant and meaningful to us. One reason that gives me hope is that even the small things that I can do now are recognized and appreciated. And together, the little things that we each contribute are collectively significant. Many people doing a little makes a world of difference. And sometimes, even our small decisions have enormous impact. I think of the choices of ancestors and advocates all around us. Their lives now and then must have seemed small and simple and perhaps insignificant at times and their decisions inconsequential. But we know now the magnitude of their influence and good, generous choices, which directly impact our lives and the lives of our family, friends, and extended family today. Thousands upon thousands will be impacted for good. I have always loved the story of the starfish.

You can't do everything. That's ok. You need only do what you can. That's the beauty of goodwill.

Edward Everett Hale said “I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”

This famous quote has been an inspiration to millions. One person can make a difference.

You have much to offer. Your contributions will benefit many others all around the world--not to mention you. Generations untold will call your name blessed for your influence and generosity.

For that, I sincerely thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment