Thursday, September 26, 2013

What really matters

Recently I read a fantastic article in the Ensign recently. It so inspired me that figuratively speaking, I leapt to my feet to applaud those involved and the reaction from the community. 

When a woman stood to introduce herself among a throng of scholastic powerhouses listing their many academic degrees and professional accomplishments, she wondered "What can I possibly say?" She felt inferior to these ambassadors, professionals, and world leaders. "I've got to think of something to say. No. I've got to find an excuse to leave." But she prayed for strength and in that moment a thought came into her mind with perfect clarity. "Who in this room has achieved more amazing things than you? You are a mother in Zion. You have brought eight children into this world. Get up and tell these people what you have done." 

At that moment, the microphone was passed to her table. Now I quote from the article:
"She confidently stood, and with elegance difficult to describe, she said, "A few years ago I accompanied my husband here to the Harvard Kennedy School. And my most important achievement is that I am the mother of 8 children and 18 grandchildren." 

With that statement, spontaneous applause erupted in the room. It was the only applause of the entire night...why? I don't presume to know why exactly, but I feel that I have a pretty good idea.

People know where happiness comes from. They can feel in their hearts that is true. But it's a hard choice without the influence of the Spirit to guide your footsteps--one often avoided by many in our day. When they see someone who has overcome the odds and had the courage to make home and family a priority, we applaud their tenacity and endurance doing something that many times has escaped us in our pursuit of self improvement and personal fulfillment, because happiness doesn't reside in self-actualization. Quite the contrary, we find ourselves, our dreams, by losing ourselves in the pursuit of making others happy and better. It lifts and succors the needy, while it inspires those that witness the very miracle in action.

When I read this article, I wanted to leap to my feet and applaud this woman, because I knew the reaction from the community was right and well-deserved. That's what happened in Castle Valley with Granny and Grandpa and my siblings: The proper focus on what really matters in life. That's the miracle happening in our family today.

And like those in this story, legions will rise and applaud your wise choices to raise families in righteousness and rear the leaders of tomorrow. 

May I be the first to take my hat off to applaud your grand accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment