Sunday, December 4, 2011

Behind the scenes

Have you ever wanted to be one of those people that could donate millions to charity? I expect you have. Me too. And someday, we will be able to do just that, but in the meantime, there is a lot we can still do.

I have always loved the story of the widow's mite. The rational is pretty simple. One reason is that it gives me hope that even the small things that I can do now are recognized and appreciated by our Heavenly Father. And together, the little that we each do becomes significant. Many doing a little makes a world of difference. And sometimes, even our small decisions have enormous impact. I think of the choices of Grandpa John Stucki. His life must have seemed small and simple to him at the time and his decisions inconsequential. But now we can look back and see the significance of his good choices, which directly impact our lives now. Thousands upon thousands will be blessed. I have always loved the story of the starfish.

You can't do everything. That's ok. You need do only what you can do. That's another beautiful truth of the widow's mite.

Edward Everett Hale said “I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do.”

Today is Fast Sunday. We heard beautiful testimonies that witnessed of God's grace. A couple significant thoughts that struck me this morning follow:
  • Murmuring blinds us of Heavenly Father's tender mercies in our behalf. Don't ask "why is this happening to me," but instead "what can I learn from this?"
  • Suffering let's us better know, appreciate, and love the Savior for the suffering He wrought in our stead to bring about our salvation
  • Our challenges are blessings in disguise. Did you ever think of Castle Valley as our wilderness? It occurred to me that the similarities are remarkable between the events surrounding Lehi leaving his riches and taking his family into the wilderness and our family following Mom and Dad after they received inspiration to take our family to Castle Valley (the wilderness). In both cases, difficult obstacles were overcome and resulted in many blessings (the promised land). And so it is in each of you. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ won't forsake us if we will but follow him. Grandpa has said so well what is in my heart today: Grandpa's testimony
Your gifts are significant. What you have to offer others far outweighs the millions donated to charity. Generations untold will call your name blessed for your good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment