Sunday, December 18, 2011

Overcoming hardship

I know that the Lord will provide a way for you to accomplish the things He has commanded you. I have seen the evidence of that many times throughout my life. We have had a number of challenges that we have been able to overcome because He will see us through if we keep His commandments and have faith in Him.

Now I want to tell you a short story shared years ago shortly after I graduated from high school by President Marion G. Romney, then Second Counselor in the First Presidency. He told of the following experience:
Several years ago while the president of one of our missions in Mexico was sitting in a barber chair, the barber began to talk to him about his finances. He asked the mission president for his advice. The barber was having difficulty paying his bills with his small income. The mission president said, “Well, I can tell you what I’d tell members of my church, and what I do tell them when they ask me this question—I tell them the first thing to do is to pay their tithing.”

“What’s tithing?” said the barber. After listening to the mission president’s explanation, he exploded, “Well, that’s just great, isn’t it! I come to you with a question as to how I can pay my bills with the little I make, and you come up with a fancy idea of how I can spend the first 10 percent of it!”

A Divine Obligation and a Blessing
Well, we can understand the reaction of the barber all right, but if he had understood and had had faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, he would have recognized the wisdom in the mission president’s counsel. He would have known that in paying tithing he would be complying with a divine law, upon compliance with which great blessings are predicated. He would have known that in paying tithing he would have been discharging an obligation which his maker, the Lord, has put upon every one of his children.

There are numerous stories of the divine help rendered when we face challenges that seem far above our ability to overcome. Learning a language, moving our home, facing health concerns, starting a business, dealing with the challenges of a recession--the one thing I know is that if we follow the exhortations given us through living prophets and keep the commandments, we will have abundance and to spare.

I love the words and example of King Benjamin. He labored for his own welfare rather than placing burdensome taxes on his people. Further, he knew we owe everything to our Heavenly Father and taught this concept beautifully in second chapter of Mosiah. I exhort you to read the whole thing, but in particular read verses 19-24.

He has commanded us to follow Him and promised blessings to those that do. You needn't approach life's challenges alone, but you can be equipped with the armor of God and the promise that He will help you successfully overcome your challenges, even when it seems impossible. David and Goliath, the Israelites escaping Egypt, a few crusts of bread and five fishes feeding 5000--these are but a few of the miracles He wrought. With God, nothing is impossible. Even in our weakness, He can make us strong.

Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things. Jacob 4:6-7

You can overcome whatever challenges you are called to face by putting your faith in Him and keeping His commandments. I know from personal experience this is true.

Again, I refer to the wise words of King Benjamin in the last verse of the second chapter.
41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it. Mosiah 2:41

The commandments are given specifically to bless you. Decide now to receive the benefits of obeying the commandments. The Lord will see you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment