Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jesus Christ Is the Way

Fam,
Perhaps you have heard the story about Albert Einstein when he was teaching physics at Princeton. A graduate student was carrying the tests back to class after he had just delivered a final. And the graduate assistant was looking at the tests and noticed that this test looked like one previously administered. So he said "Hey Dr. Einstein, isn't this the same test that you gave last year?" And Dr. Einstein said "Yeah. That's the same test." Amazed at that answer, he exclaimed "How could you give the same test two years in a row?" Dr. Einstein replied "Because since last year the answers have changed." That's how it is with science and physics and astronomy and stuff like that. Just wait a year and the answers will change.

Where do we go for answers that don't change? The scriptures give us truths that have stayed relevant for thousands of years. They are eternal principles that apply today in our lives just as they have in generations past. What do we hold on to when we face challenging times in our lives? The Iron Rod, which is the Word of God, leads to the tree of life (the Love of God). But until we feel the Love of God in our lives, we can hold fast to the Rod of Iron to guide us through difficulty.

In 1 Nephi 11:16 the angel asked Nephi a question "Knowest thou the condescension of God?"

And in the next verse Nephi answers with something he knows and something he doesn't know. He said "I know that he loveth his children. Nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." (1 Nephi 11:17)

If you really know that God loves you, boy that helps when the tests, trials, temptations, and tragedies happen in life, because your questions change. If you're not sure that God loves you then you might say things like "Why did this trial happen to me? I guess God doesn't love me," or "Why is God mad at me?" or "Why is he doing this to my family?" But if you really know that God loves his children, then you can say "Though I don't understand why, I do know that God loves me and will help me in my time of need." When tragedies happen, you may ask "Why did that happen? I don't know. But I do know for sure from a place the answers don't change that God loves me, and because of his Son, we will again see God and be reunited with our loved ones." That's the hope we have in Jesus Christ.

To me that emphasizes the need to read the scriptures daily and learn of the love and comfort available to us:
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:35-39)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13)
How is it thou canst weep (Moses 7:26-33)
Ye may also enter into that rest Alma 13:10-13
My peace be unto thy soul (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-9)

The last verse of the reference in the Doctrine and Covenants above refers to Job, who lost his family and possessions and whose friends turned against him, but Job remained faithful. Why do bad things happen to good people? There is quite a commentary here.

I think of Dad's testimony in this regard and the hope we have because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ for which I am so thankful.

Jesus Christ Is the Way.

I love you, dad

No comments:

Post a Comment