Saturday, February 8, 2014

Extraordinary

I enjoyed recently perhaps the best talk I have ever heard. Could that be possible? After 50 years of witnessing fantastic discourses by prophets, leaders, motivational speakers, and parents that's a remarkable claim, I realize. Perspective and priority are the reason. Ominous obstacles in our day may keep us from believing in our abilities, but they can't prevent us from becoming the people we are destined to be if we but endure to the end.

Let me introduce this message with a story...I recall an experience about a young man who attended a devotional. As he sat among thousands of other students the speaker discussed topics significant to him specifically. He was so touched the message spoke directly to him that he was speechless. His prayers were answered, and he realized that Heavenly Father had designed this occasion in his behalf. Tears flowed freely, and at the conclusion of the event, this young man was so stunned that he couldn't move. He continued basking in the Spirit and remained seated as the people all around him stood and made their way to their cars. This was a life-changing experience. Most had left the massive coliseum by now. Still unable to rise from his seat, he overheard the following conversation by the last two people filing up the stairway.

"Did you like the speaker?"
"I've heard better. You know I couldn't help but think I would have had more fun somewhere else."
"I know. I was thinking about the concert too."
"Oh well. You can't win them all..."

The young man was the last person to leave the building. Life changed, he walked back to his car and applied that very evening the message his Heavenly Father had prepared for him.

I experienced that today. The message was meant for me, and I will share the insights, too numerous to address in a single entry, over the next few weeks. But I do want to share one thought from this discourse with you.

Lorenzo Snow declared that "a mother who has brought up a family of faithful 
children ought to be saved if she never does another good thing."

The light the gospel shines on the divine role of women 
and motherhood is something the whole world should see.

You are all so important to your Heavenly Father that the salvation of your parents hinges on your well-being and upbringing in righteousness. The enormity of the universe is unfathomable, but each one of you is significant, the pride of your parents, and the work and glory of God.

That is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment