Saturday, February 1, 2014

Of One Voice

I admire those who have such beautiful voices and talented musical abilities. But even a song in the shower has special qualities. It emanates joy, peace, love, and wholeness.

When you were small children, I loved to listen to you sing while working around the house or as you were casually playing. It meant you were happy, content, and safe.

My father taught me the principles of the gospel ever since I was just a little boy. He was kind and patient, careful to explain so I too could understand. He taught in word and deed. But really, all I had to do was look at his life and consider his example. His model instilled the important lessons then and still does today. I hiked across the Grand Canyon as an 11-year-old scout with my dad. He was the Scoutmaster back then and my hero. I didn't realize then that this experience would come to be one of the most-cherished memories of my life.

Today, humility, gentleness, kindness, and moral integrity are scoffed at every hand. But I have a different point-of-view, because I saw the quality of character and pillar of strength they produced in my dad. The hope of tomorrow can be seen in the respectful eyes of the boys who look to their dads with admiration and in the broad smile of fathers who cherish their sons.

My admiration is only tempered by the realization that his desire would be to deflect my praise and express my appreciation to the Savior. And he's right. All blessings come to us because Jesus Christ enabled us and provided a way. He is the source of everything good.

Around this time of year, we are inspired by the immortal words of Isaiah, who heralds in the miracle of the season. Isaiah 9:6

He also warned us of challenges of our day. Isaiah 5:20

When Granny was on her mission, she shared the following scripture in one of her letters:
"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me" 

When I was a young boy, this scripture honestly kind of bothered me, because I love and admire my parents and siblings so much. But in time the problem was solved. I learned that the Redeemer is not separating us from our loved ones, quite the contrary. He gave us our family and friends and those we hold dear. And because of Him, we can be happy and live in harmony with them forever. In fact, today more than ever I am thrilled to become reacquainted with my Father In Heaven through the Savior Jesus Christ.

I am excited to thank Him. Because of Him, this great plan of happiness will bring all of our loved ones eternally together as we strive to follow the gospel, and that's the greatest gift of all.

Now that's something really worth singing about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment