Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A real strength

One of my dad's greatest qualities was his uncanny ability to listen....

He was wise, astute, and articulate, but I often sought his assistance because I knew he would hear me out. Sometimes I just needed to pour out my troubles or reveal my frustrations or share a moment of pride or satisfaction. He would pay attention to my concerns and rejoice or sorrow with me as the case required without judging me, and I could share the tender feelings of my heart freely. Perhaps the ability to listen is not found among the lists of greatest attributes esteemed and admired in others, but for me, it was significant.

I have told the story many times when my dad and I would share a few moments together driving in the truck along the river road between Moab and Castle Valley or pruning the trees up in the orchard and around the farm or completing some other task together. We shared many things talking, exhorting, and sometimes crying as we exchanged thoughts with one another. I would often try to articulate the troubles I was experiencing at home or in school, and he would listen to my intent though my words often failed me. Near the end of the journey, I would respond with something like "Dad, thank you so much for helping me work through this." And he would smile and his eyes twinkled. I knew then that I had done all the talking--but what I needed was someone to listen--and that's just what Dad would do.

When my father passed away, I missed many of his qualities, but quiet, confident, sincere listening was certainly among the most treasured. And that was just like Dad to always be thinking of helping others.

And for me, it was someone who would listen.

Listen to the words of Christ, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God.

No comments:

Post a Comment