Sunday, July 15, 2012

A New Vista

We had such a great sacrament meeting today. The subject was prayer. I was so inspired by the comments. I have chosen to share some of my notes with you. Speakers shared some good direction including the following:
  • Pray everyday
  • Situate yourself so that at least once a day you can speak out loud
  • Live to receive the blessings
  • Ask that His will be done
  • Listen for answers
  • Consider it a valuable experience to not receive immediate answers to prayer
I recently read a great article on prayer from one of President Uchtdorf's former talks. An excerpt follows:

Prayer is a heavenly gift designed to help us achieve spiritual lift. It enhances and cultivates our relationship with God. Isn’t it remarkable that we can converse with the supreme Source of wisdom and compassion in the universe at any time of our choosing, in any place?

Daily simple, sincere, and mighty prayers lift our lives to a higher spiritual altitude. In our prayers we praise God, give thanks to Him, confess weaknesses, petition needs, and express deep devotion to our Heavenly Father. As we make this spiritual effort in the name of Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, we are endowed with increased inspiration, revelation, and righteousness, which bring the brightness of heaven into our lives.

I think back on my days as a pilot and those times when thick clouds and threatening thunderstorms made all appear dark and gloomy. In spite of how bleak things looked from my earthly vantage point, I knew that above the clouds the sun beamed brightly like a dazzling jewel in an ocean of blue skies. I did not have faith that such was the case—I knew it. I knew it because I had experienced it for myself. I did not need to rely on other people’s theories or beliefs. I knew.

In the same way that aerodynamic lift can transport us above the outer storms of the world, I know that the principles of spiritual lift can take us above the inner storms of life.

And I know something else. Although it was a breathtaking experience to break through the clouds and fly to the bright blue horizon, that is nothing compared to the wonders of what we all can experience as we lift up our hearts in humble and earnest prayer.

Prayer helps us transcend the stormy times. It gives us a glimpse of that blue sky that we cannot see from our earthly vantage point, and it reveals to us another vista—a glorious spiritual horizon filled with hope and the assurance of the bright blessings the Lord has promised to those who love and follow Him.

Mahatma Gandhi said "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Our happiness comes from serving others. As we contribute time and effort to lift and build those around us, we help improve others lives, and we see that we can influence others for good. And that changes the way we see the world. Each of us can make a difference.

The link to the entire talk follows: Prayer and the Blue Horizon

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment