Sunday, July 22, 2012

Songs They Could Not Sing

Wow! What a week. Any challenges I share with you today pale in comparison to the chaos and tragic circumstances in Colorado this week. Why does tragedy happen? Why does the Lord allow good people to suffer hardship?

One young woman who fell victim to these events had written the following:
I was shown how fragile life is. I say all the time every moment we have to live our life is a blessing.  Every hug from a family member, every laugh we share with friends, every second of every day is a gift. - Jessica Hierba (deceased)
I don't know all the reasons, but I do know that we gain valuable qualities when we face and overcome challenges. Our Heavenly Father is all about our discipline and proper development. He wants for us the very best.

Today, I am going to share some personal stories. My objective - my hope - is that by showing lessons that I have learned, you will be wiser than I have been and my experiences will be of benefit to you in your life.

You all know I was in an accident when I was 17-years-old. To me, now, that sounds so young. The particulars aren't so important, but I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 months as a result. When Dr. Tice told me about the procedure to fix my dislocated neck, he said that they would take chips of bone from my hip to repair my neck and fuse it back together. Then he said "Your hip will be a lot more painful than your neck." I later learned he wasn't kidding. Therapists would come in daily to help me exercise and treat me for the effects of immobility. They would tap their hands on the sides of my chest to free the buildup of congestion. Then they would insist I get out of my bed and walk a few steps, and they would help me. All the walking wasn't the problem. It was moving around and getting out of the bed that was so painful. Invariably, somebody or something would bump my hip, causing me enormous discomfort. So I would complain a little, "Do I have to do this again?" Though I don't remember all the discussions that we had in my hospital room, I have never forgotten his answer. "Mathew, if we didn't get you up and walk a little each day, soon you would be unable to get out of bed or walk at all."

And so it is in life. If we never faced hardship, we would be unable to deal with obstacles. It sounds impossible, perhaps, but just as my walks in the hospital room enabled me to deal with the effects of atrophy and retain the ability to be mobile and continue walking, I expect overcoming obstacles enable us to continue moving forward despite adversity.

But tragedy is hard! It is difficult for those who haven't been through it to fathom the depth of sorry and despair experienced by those in its grip. It's all-consuming and overwhelming.

We can learn a lot by showing compassion for those in the throes of hardship. (job loss, health challenges, death of loved ones...), and we can find hope in expressing our appreciation to God for His blessings and acknowledging our reliance on Him.

He will not forsake us. He who notes the sparrow's fall surely hears the pleadings of our hearts. He suffered our pains so He could empathize with us in our struggles and free us from the chains of our misfortunes. And He does it willingly, because He loves us.

A few years ago, President Monson gave three suggestions that would lead us to safety amid the journey through mortality which at times places us in harm’s way:
1. Study diligently
2. Pray fervently
3. Live righteously
Adam prayed; Jesus prayed. We know the outcome of their prayers. Though they prayed with faith, their challenges were not removed. Remember the promise: “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”

"To those within the sound of my voice who are struggling with challenges and difficulties large and small, prayer is the provider of spiritual strength; it is the passport to peace. Prayer is the means by which we approach our Father in Heaven, who loves us. Speak to Him in prayer and then listen for the answer. Miracles are wrought through prayer." President Thomas S. Monson

Let us not despair, for the work in which we are engaged is the work of the Lord. It has been said, “The Lord shapes the back to bear the burden placed upon it.”

And when the chips are down, and we are at our wits end, perhaps the miracle manifest in us will be that we are able to endure to the end--where our burdens will be lifted once and for all. Hope sustains us through despair.

Look to your Heavenly Father. He says to you, as He said to Joseph Smith, “[Your] adversity and [your] afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if [you] endure it well, God shall exalt [you] on high.” Doctrine and Covenants 121:8

For this, I pray every day.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/04/be-your-best-self?lang=eng
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/the-songs-they-could-not-sing?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment