Thursday, October 4, 2012

Saving the Ship

Grandpa used to tell me a story about a sailor in the navy who was ridiculed because he knelt by his bunk each day and offered prayer. Nevertheless, this young man was undeterred.

Later in one particularly heated battle, the ship was struck mortally, and the men on deck fell to their knees in droves pleading for heaven's help, hopeless as it looked, because of fear. This particular cadet, however, did not cry for help but continued trying to save the ship. After the incident, when the battalion had returned to normalcy, his comrades gathered around him and asked of all people why didn't he begin to pray on the deck of the ship at the time when they needed heaven's help so badly, like many of the other sailors did.

He replied "I had already said my prayers that morning. God knew of my needs. Then was time for me to do everything I could given the situation at hand."  

I have always appreciated that sentiment and felt strength and security knowing that if I stand for Him, He will stand by me, especially in the heat of battle. I like this story because it applies to all our lives in every situation we may find ourselves. It's a matter of priority.

And that makes all the difference!




No comments:

Post a Comment