Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lucky me

Today is Father's Day. I have been thinking a lot about fatherhood lately, and I have shared with each of you some anecdotes and sentiments regarding blessings that come from good, upright fathers.

Relatively speaking, I am a new father. Though I am no longer young in years, I don't have the wisdom or experience to handle all the situations that come to me as a dad. Nevertheless, you stick by me, honor me with your goodness, and love me just the same. I am grateful for your patience.

During this brief time as a father, I have seen the hand of the Lord blessing me and my family many times, so today I want to express my appreciation to a loving Heavenly Father for the privilege it has been to be your dad. I am glad to be numbered among you and grateful for your confidence.

Nobody's perfect. I realize that. We all make mistakes even though we want to be better. But the great plan of happiness provides for our shortcomings and ultimately enables us to achieve our potential as children of the God of Heaven. This is power I see in each of you. I am grateful for the good desires of your hearts.

In many ways I fall short as your father. Admittedly, I don't exhibit the patience I should. I grapple with flaws that many of you don't. Nevertheless, you build me up and revere me for the person that you know that I can become. I am grateful for your love and acceptance.

So today, you will shower me with praise and presents and honor. You know I appreciate these attitudes and feelingsexpressed and unexpressed. But the desire of my heart today is to say "thank you" for giving me the chance to be your dad.

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment