Friday, June 14, 2013

What I want for you

Find at least one thing to love this week. What a great ambition to have. Seems small and insignificant you say? Well, all by itself, perhaps. But think of it.

It's not all by itself. Repeat this each week and that's 52 more things to love in just one year alone, and hundreds more things to enjoy in a lifetime on top of all the things you already cherish. Laugh with a friend. See the beauty in the world all around you. Forgive someone, not because the person deserves it, but because you are in charge of your own happiness and have the power to influence that of others. Comfort your neighbor or friend or family member that needs a lift. Help someone else feel good about himself. Selfless, thoughtful service brings self-satisfaction and often the admiration of others. Grandpa talks in his personal history about people he admires:
I’d like to say a couple things about Margie’s mother and dad. When her mother took sick, her father faithfully cared for her, and loved her the rest of her life. I know of some similar situations, where the husband left his wife when she contracted a serious disease. One of the most admirable things I’ve seen in my life, is how Arnold, Christ-like, gave himself for his wife. He made many sacrifices to give her what joy, comfort and help he could. I admire him so much for that. I also admire Myrtle, because even though she must have had blue and discouraging moments, she was always a lovely, happy and pleasant person. I never heard complaints from her. She stayed faithful to her principles, faithful to the Lord, and pleasant in her attitude, in spite of the devastating illness she faced. I love them both, as I love my own parents.
I feel so lucky to have had an opportunity to rub shoulders with such fine parents and grandparents. I need only read a few words from those who knew them to remember how their love and ambitions changed the world for me and many others. So what I want for you is that you realize the great family you have and the love extended to you. You're not alone. None of us are all by ourselves. We are all pulling for you. So you can accomplish anything you want. We will help make sure of it.

When you dream, dream big.



No comments:

Post a Comment