Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Finding the temple

We all have a journey to the temple. Mine occurred one late evening in the outskirts of Minneapolis. I was looking for the St Paul Minnesota Temple with minimal guidance. There were tons of roads, intersections, and highways. I had a list of streets, directions if you will, but it was 100% new turf for me. Amid the darkness of night, pale lights, and general traffic congestion, I found it more challenging than I first expected. My cell phone was nearly dead, so GPS wasn't an option. But the minimal directions and some helpful locals eventually provided the guidance I needed. When I entered the ediface1,300 miles from UtahI felt comfortable and surprisingly right at home; familiar, peaceful, and secure.

The next session wasn't for about an hour, so I had plenty of time to look around and enjoy the area. Upon my return, I was ushered in. The rest of my colleagues were out eating steak at the Strip Club, supposedly a play on words, but that was all right. I decided on other activities and didn't want to try and explain the charge on my credit card statement anyway, so I made other plans.

After a warm introduction to other patrons, I found it most accommodating. What a relief. When I arrived, I was delighted to meet the temple president and learn of the numerous opportunities inside. I felt right at home. It turned into a wonderful evening. Five sisters and three brothers joined me...that's it, but it was one of the most enlightening sessions of my life. I don't think that was a coincidence. I intend to go back frequently. Perhaps this will begin my new consecutive attendance plan. It's a great way to spend the evening when I go to St. Paul. That's for sure. Why we build temples...

No comments:

Post a Comment