Saturday, November 2, 2013

Precious

There are 146 occurrences of the word precious in Holy Writ.
Thirteen times the words more and precious appear in the same verse.
This includes four instances the words occur in the sequence more precious.
Only once within this quartet does precious refer to something other than a person.


So what is it that makes this reference so significant?

I have some ideas, but I want you to hear your opinion. What makes that singular reference so meaningful to you? Among many things, I remember Dad telling me his favorite book of scripture (if one can somehow choose a favorite) was James. I don't know why that surprised me at the time, but it did. Now years later, it too has become a favorite of mine, because it reminds me of Dad, and when I read it I ask myself why these verses meant so much to him. Somehow that has made them more precious to me, as well.

Well, this verse in 1 Peter is probably another one of his favorites, because it speaks of hope, of love, of forgiveness, and peace. He freely promises us His comfort, love, and compassion if we will.

Peter captures this sentiment in this verse and those that follow, and the great reward we receive for having faith in Jesus Christ, especially during the trial of our faith:

The salvation of our souls.

Previous Savior, Dear Redeemer

When we are yoked with Christ, we can rely on Him because alone we fall short. Our hardships are valuable and teach us appreciation and gratitude.

Joy and happiness are born of gratitude.

One of Granny's favorite scriptures has significant application here:
3 Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him—
 4 Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified;
 5 Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life. 
Doctrine and Covenants 45:3-5
Jesus Christ is our Advocate, and perhaps this is the most precious knowledge of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment