Monday, November 18, 2013

Minnesota madness

You wouldn't believe the weird circumstances of where I am right now. I just arrived at the MSP airport on my way back to Utah from a business trip in MN. I caught a ride with my colleague, and now I am waiting for my flight. I made my way through security and found my gate. I am a bit early so I brought a book to read while I wait. What is so unique to me is when I arrived at my gate and looked for a place to sit down, I was greeted by four long, tall tables outfitted with iPads, charging plugs, lighting, and stools. So I put in my ear-buds and navigated to YouTube. I am listening to Pachelbel Canon in D while I type this. Besides the other five men using the iPads on these tables, there are other people scattered all round the area on both sides of me on airport-provided iPads navigating the web, talking on cell phones, or reading. Nobody is talking to one another person. Strange? Yes, but that is not what I think is so amazing. The fact that everyone (including me) is so
engrossed in their technology and that the airport has integrated it so fully is what stunned me. At this gate alone, there are 4 dozen iPads, charging stations, swipe pads at each location, so users can purchase anything, and the iPad keeps me updated on the status of my flight. Though mine is the next flight, it still doesn't leave for an hour-and-a-half. The available spots are slowly filling up. Years ago people would be reading books or magazines or browsing through the newspaper while they waited for their flight. Not a single person within my sight is reading from anything other than a mobile device. And to think I actually brought a book with me to read. In fact, I was reading while I stood in line earlier. I had no idea I was so backward. So maybe it's just me but this all seemed strange at the time... Oh well. No matter. I'll get back to Vivaldi while i wait. Besides, this is a good one. 28,057,449...er 28,057,500 views. 90% of all these people I am telling you about are in my generation. This is probably happening in airports all across the world today. Now the combination of all this is what is really weird. Oh yeah. The tables are all filled now--every seat and every iPad is taken. And my flight still doesn't leave for an hour...still no magazines.

Watch for this in other places, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment