Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Change the world

Perhaps the title of this post is not what you would expect during the holidays. Nonetheless, that is our commission.

Changing the world begins with changing your world. Perhaps start with the following:
  • get up 10 minutes earlier to do something extra (read scriptures, play the piano, or develop another talent)
  • recognize and show appreciation for people in your life
  • improve yourself
  • mend a relationship
  • leave things better than you find them
Give thanks for your blessings. Make the world a better place...and then enjoy it.

My sincere appreciation to all of you who bring so much joy into my life. I can't help but think of my dad when I hear the Halleluja Chorus. He appreciated good music so and loved the message it portrays. When this song was performed, it was not uncommon to look over and see tears streaming down his cheeks. I love that about him.

The Gift of the Messiah (This article is great. It contains a video I just love.)

You will notice that when the choir begins singing in the link above, the audience stands up. This has been a tradition long before my time, yet it continues to flood my emotions each time I see it. Upon hearing the "Halleluja Chorus" movement of the Messiah, King George II of England was reputedly so overcome with emotion that he spontaneously rose to his feet. When the king stands, everyone stands, so the audience immediately rose also. The tradition of standing for the chorus is still observed today in most live performances of "Messiah". I like to think, however, that we stand out of respect and adoration for the Savior. That seems more agreeable to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment