Sunday, December 23, 2012

Gilead's balm

What do you know about the balm of Gilead?

I went to the scriptures today to learn more. The balm of Gilead was “an aromatic gum or spice used for healing wounds.” (Gen. 43:11, Jer. 8:22, 46:11, 51:8) A bush produced resin from which the balm was made. These grew so plentifully in Gilead during Old Testament times that the balm came to be known as the “balm of Gilead.” (Gen. 37:25, Ezek. 27:17)

Today, the Balm of Gilead refers to many different blessings that bring healing, reconciliation, peace, and comfort in the midst of injury, conflict, and discord.

 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

Apology is the ointment that ignites the healing power of forgiveness.

Balm of Gilead, a talk by Boyd K. Packer in the October 1987 General Conference

The Healing Power of Forgiveness, a talk by James E. Faust in the April 2007 General Conference (one of my favorite talks of all time. The emotion and words of President Faust are moving.)

This week, listen to the talks above and watch the following video. You'll be glad you did.

Let the healing begin.



I am grateful that God allows tragedies and trials to occur in our lives, not because they are easy or because they are desired, but because they help us love, and that too was a wonderful blessing because I saw my brother. Coming to know a Man of Sorrow and One who is acquainted with grief as I have come to understand is really why I was sent here. And it has been incredibly difficult to have to learn those lessons in the way that I have learned them, but I have always ended those episodes of grief with an assurance and a hope that one day perhaps I will see him as he is and one day hopefully I will be like him, and one day I will be with my wife again as well as the rest of my family...and that's what keeps me moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment