Sunday, December 9, 2012

Whence come thou again

Did I ever share with you the story of when I got lost at Knott's Berry Farm? My family was there on vacation, and we were watching a fantastic dance right in the middle of the walkway. When I looked up, the family was gone. That was disconcerting to say the least. It must have shown on my face, because a kind woman asked me if I was lost, and at that question, I think I probably burst into tears.

She assured me I would be fine, and she told me that she would take me to the office so they could make an announcement and get me back with my family. Those were sweet words, and she did exactly as promised. Someday, I hope to have an opportunity to thank her for coming to my aid.

Well, at the Knott's Berry Farm office, I was greeted by the nicest, sweetest young ladies you can imagine--Snow White herself couldn't have been any more giggly, kind, or beautiful--remember, I was a 5-year-old boy. While I was waiting, they consoled and entertained me with stories, treats, and attention like any young boy loves. Nevertheless, when my parents walked through the door to recover me, I was delighted.

It was relatively harmless back in those days, and I actually remember it with a sort of fondness and nostalgia. But I imagine it was anything but nostalgic and pleasant for the apostles when they learned about the events leading to the end of the world and Christ's imminent departure. I have said before that I imagine the apostles were pleading when they asked "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming?" 

The whole chapter Matt 24 is great and very informative. Read it. Many of the prophecies contained therein have been fulfilled.

And though we are told "Of that day and hour knoweth no man," (Matt 24:36) we are also told that we can know when it is near by watching for the fulfillment of events foretold. (Mark 13:28)

So what does all this have to do with getting separated from my parents as a boy while on vacation? Actually, it is remarkably similar. 
  • The separation was brief 
  • Was it scary? Yes, but it was kind of fun too 
  • It turned out fine, even though parts were worrisome at the time
  • As I look back now, the outcome was sure
  • The joy of being reunited was great 
These same characteristics are true in life with the freedoms we enjoy as we prepare for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. 
  • Our separation from Heavenly Father is relative short compared to eternity
  • Even amid hardship, life is scattered with joyous occasions
    Men are, that they might have joy (2 Nephi 2:25) and all of our afflictions are swallowed up in the joy of Christ (Alma 31:38)
  • Everything will turn out ok in the end; if it's not ok, it's not the end
  • The following statement of Elder Cook emphasizes our perspective:
    ...it’s a wonderful time to be a member of the Church ... We know what the ultimate outcome is, we know who Jesus Christ is, and we have the opportunity of having a loving Father in Heaven bless us.
  • The righteous eagerly await the return of the Savior Jesus Christ
The question really is will we be ready when He comes again.

Will YOU be ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment