Saturday, December 1, 2012

I Love

There are so many things I love about our family. Now I'm not talking about the way that we show affection with hugs and kisses or the way we tell one another frequently that we love each other. No. I'm not talking about the family traditions that we have like lining up by age in ascending order to go into the living room on Christmas morning or celebrating early morning birthdays with a happy birthday to you song at the bedside. Those traditions are great, too, but today what I really love is the little things about each one of you that make our family what it is. Like a beautiful stained glass window is made up of many small, significant colors and shapes, our family is composed of the total of all your individual characteristics.
  • Nick - I have always loved Nick. He adds so much to our family. One of the most poignant moments I remember about Nick was when he called me to ask for my permission and blessing to marry Camilla. Sounds like a small thing, perhaps, but my admiration and appreciation for Nick grew enormously that day. And ever since, we have had many occasions to develop bonds. Always, my fly-fishing mentor.
  • Camilla tries new things and leads the way--working hard to achieve her goals--one summer in Alaska and another at Lake Powell; teaching English in Korea and travelling the orient, things I have never done. She is perfect for Nick and Tosh. I think Camilla's namesake is one of the finest people that I have ever met. But considering Camilla's qualities, it's no wonder she shares that forename.
  • Steven's calling card is that he includes everyone, is fun to be with, and understanding of others. It's tough going to school--college is hard work--you all know that, but I love remembering the frequent times that I would call Steven, and he would be coming from or going to the temple. I would think "I want to be more like that." And his music...wow...Steven is easy to love.
  • Amy - her little laugh, dedication to a cause, and determination are characteristics that I admire about Amy. No one really understands how hard she had to work when she was employed by Jeff and Tanya. Often she changed her plans because she was called into work last moment or asked to stay longer than scheduled. But day-in-and-day-out she willingly surrendered her own plans for the greater good. And as far as Tripp and Liv--Amy will always be a favorite. For me, Amy epitomizes integrity.
  • Alyssa - everybody loves Alyssa. Her style, her smile, her loyalty to family and friends. I love that she is honest with me and shares the desires of her heart, even when she is afraid or unsure. It takes a lot of courage to bear your soul when you risk rejection, humiliation, or indifference. But that won't stop Alyssa. She does what is dead-on because it is right.
  • Melanie - beauty and affability are qualities often not found together, but it just so happens that in Melanie's case, they exist in spades. People say that beauty is more than skin deep. Melanie is kind to others and glows inside and out, and that's what makes her so attractive because she is simply charming.
  • Emily is friendly, obedient, loving, and kind. Those words describe her well. I love that Emily is a companion to all and scatters sunshine everywhere she goes. She has so many friends from all parts of the ward and neighborhood and is a favorite both in and out of the family. Everybody loves Emily.
And Linda, she is the girl of my dreams. I would be so much less without her. There are so many things I love about your mother: appreciation for BYU football, the challenges during her youth from which she ascended so beautifully, and her dedication to home and family. You know, your mother is your greatest advocate-- I love that about her.

Though there is much more to say, I can only mention the briefest summation of your qualities. 

Of course I love all of you. How could I not?

And the best is yet to come.

1 comment:

  1. And let's not forget you, dad: a devoted, courageous, dedicated husband, father, and friend. You are an outstanding example of faith, hope,and optimism, no matter the circumstance. Not to mention patience. I have never heard an ill word towards another leave your lips and, in turn, not an ill word can be said about you. You are a blessing to literally every life you come in contact with. Especially mine.

    ReplyDelete