Friday, December 21, 2012

Still

When we pray so hard for something, why don't we receive it? We have good intentions. We are faithfully serving the Lord in whatever capacity we are called. Others all about us seem to get the things they want.

What more could we do? Why are we not given the desires of our hearts?

I am reminded of a statement by Sherry Dew, who as you know, never had the opportunity to get married. She said  something like "Believe me, if fasting and prayer and temple attendance automatically resulted in a husband, I'd have Nephis lining up to wed me."

But on a more serious note, we ask for guidance, for direction, and for help and protection, yet in the midst of our pleas in seeking the Lord's direction, things go differently than we hoped and planned. How do we explain it?

I love the use of the word "still" in reference to the Still Small Voice. You could perceive from that word the idea of quiet, reverent, or tranquil. Certainly these are good and appropriate terms. But another way of interpreting the word could be persistence, endurance, or continuityespecially amid hardship or difficulty.

For example, I wonder how often we must rely on this power to get us through terrible hardships. I could mention any number of you. We all have obstacles we must overcome, and I expect you too rely on this resource often because I see you face your challenges with optimism, courage, strength, and confidence... still.

When the tempest raged around the twelve apostles on the Sea of Galilee, the Savior uttered the words "Be still" to calm the storm. I testify we can use the words of the Lord and his promises to still the storms in our hearts, the troubles in our souls, and the challenges in our lives today. And when the Lord's will is different than what we initially expected, we can still find solace in our faith in him and his will.

I do and hope you will, too.

Psalms 46:10 Be still and know that I am God
Mark 4:39 Peace, be still. And the wind ceased
Doctrine and Covenants 101:16  All flesh is in mine hands; be still

No comments:

Post a Comment