Saturday, November 17, 2012

Eye on the prize


I raked leaves today. Fortunately, I had some help. Melanie and Emily had scraped the leaves into massive piles in the back yard. So my lot was to dispose of those piles.

My thinking was that we need the mulch, and leaves will make the perfect humus, so I began combining the mounds and raking them toward the compost pile. Now, you're probably asking yourself "Why in the world is dad talking about raking leaves? Isn't there anything more interesting than that to write about?" And you would be right. It seems, at first, like a mundane subject, but read on. I began to realize that I could not move the massive pile in one group. Instead I raked individual portions of the pile to the compost and returned to repeat the process. 

At first, though it seemed like I was making little progress, I continued to return to the large pile and move it, piece by piece, to the destination of my choice. Sometimes I would try to rake too much at a time until I realized it was easier and more productive to be satisfied with my resolve so I would step back, take a manageable portion, and persist. Each time, though I saw little progress, I did see progress and that was enough motivation to continue. I thought of many things as I worked: the tons of leaves raked by my father down on the Castle Valley farm, and I wondered what a ton of dried, brittle leaves would look like. When I felt like quitting, I thought how fortunate I am to have a yard of leaves that I can rake and call my own and a home and family and abundance. My mind grasp the thought that these principles extend much further than my own yard or home. They apply to all of life.

Have you ever wondered while attending school "Is this really worth it? I have so much more to do and so little to show for my efforts." Thousands of hours and still you're a long ways from graduation. Or perhaps you're missing a loved one or facing a challenging obstacle in life and your stamina confronting problems is wearing thin. Remember, progress may be slow and incomplete, but it is progress just the same and worth celebrating. So many never get the opportunity to attend high-quality schools like you do or enjoy loving family ties that are even worth missing. When the going gets rough, take a step back, regroup and move forward again and again and again, because the prize is not to the quickest, or the strongest, or the most graceful. The prize is for he that diligently endures to the end. Mosiah 4;7

I love King Benjamin's words, which are the words of Christ, beckoning us home and warning us of life's pitfalls.

We have so much to live for when we keep our eye on the prize.

Celebrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment