Saturday, November 10, 2012

Onward

A few weeks ago, I shared with you a story that my dad used to tell about a sailor who prayed every day, despite the ridicule he would receive from his shipmates. As a boy, he learned to kneel by his bed night and morning. So naturally when he joined the armed services, he continued this habit. In the heat of battle, he had already sought the guidance of his Father in Heaven, so he could continue on with confidence doing what was within his power to affect.

I love that story and remember it often when I am facing difficulty. Last week my top two job possibilities dropped off my list in the same day. Details aren't important, but the event could have been devastating.

Later I thought this is exactly the way Mitt Romney must have felt after the elections despite all that campaigning. Or perhaps our pioneer ancestors, who had to continue from city to city after rejection on their trek to a new home. I'm sure you can think of more examples.

Though in many ways my experience pales in comparison to these examples and perhaps the challenges you face, this obstacle is significant to me, just as your trials are significant to you.

I remember with fondness singing the primary song Called to Serve with my brothers and Grandpa Curtis at my mission farewell. It had an important message then, and it is still important today. Though our field of labor has changed, our goal to further the Lord's work and derive strength from our Source of power remains the same.

Especially amid hardship.

God our strength will be; Press forward ever, called to serve our King.

No comments:

Post a Comment