Friday, November 16, 2012

The blessing of social media

I'm not deluded into thinking the subject of this blog doesn't present challenges and perhaps a paradox, as well.

But the improper use of the medium (eg wasting time, inappropriate content, et al) doesn't rightfully discount the tremendous possibility of value in the tool.

I had an interesting experience the other day I want to share with you. I received an email from UVU, and I opened it up just so the message would be marked as read and leave my inbox. I never intended to read it--I didn't think I had time. But upon viewing the message a concise 16-word greeting invited me to watch a brief 3-minute video. I decided I had time for that. Then fifteen minutes later after I shared its content with those that could benefit, I realized that the ease of social media got me to do exactly what was intended and everybody involved was enlightened. I love win-win situations!

The voice of the common man now stands or falls on its value to others. The mighty dollar is no longer necessary to promote your cause and your message, and this provides more access to see the good in the world.

A couple examples of how social media is changing the planet we live on: Think of the good that can come to purveyors and viewers of quality content. Literally, a universe of opportunity is available at our fingertips and our influence extends far beyond the confines of our home, office, or neighborhood. When I was employed by WordPerfect, I worked closely with Janina Sajka, the director of the American Foundation for the Blind. We setup a national beta testing group for people all over the country who were working in the labor force, teaching product benefits, and using our software to enlighten users and improve the world around them--oh, and did I mention, they were all blind, including Ms. Sajka. But with technology, screen readers, and the media miracle, they too could experience the world from the comfort of their offices.

Someday, it will seem ancient to have had to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to get your voice out in your city or region to market you wares. Even now, a few articulate words and well-versed phrases or a video can spread your passions across the entire world; viral marketing can't be forced, but when it happens, nothing can stop it, and participants are lucky to ride the wave of acceptance.

Be wise and use this blessing for the good that it was intended.


No comments:

Post a Comment